Today was spent getting ready for the long haul across the Atlantic tomorrow. My flight departs at 5:30 pm and I will be arriving in Bologna at 2:40 pm (their time, which is 6 hours ahead of the eastern time zone). Yikes! So it's going to be a long day, or night rather, and I want to be prepared. I learned the first time flying by myself to avoid spending the money and the stress on the ever-so disappointing, not-so-healthy airport food. It's just not worth it. So I threw together a few things to get me through a long day of traveling. If you are traveling at all this summer whether it's flying or road tripping, here are a few ideas to ensure a more pleasant and healthy travel experience!
1. Steamed sweet potato with avocado & hummus
Peel and chop into cubes about half of a sweet potato. Place in a sieve over a saucepan of boiling water. Put lid of sauce pan over sweet potatoes and steam until soft when poked with a fork.
2. Messaged kale salad with quinoa
Courtesy of Nutrition Stripped
3. Sliced red bell pepper & carrot sticks
3. Pumpkin pecan cranberry muffins
An easy and packable breakfast!
4. Nourishing nut & seed mix
Equal parts of raw cashews, raw almonds, raw pumpkin seeds, raw sunflower seeds, raisins, and dried cranberries.
5. Other snacks & tips
- Good quality dark chocolate- When you're away from the comfort of your home, you definitely want to bring some comfort with you...aka chocolate. Grocer's Daughter Chocolate from Empire, MI literally has the best chocolate I have ever tasted, all natural and ethically sourced!
- Tea- I'm bring mint and chamomile tea for my overnight flight to help sooth my tummy and relax me for the long ride. I am also packing green tea to revitalize me in the morning!
- Green Pea Snack- have you guys ever tried these things? They're so crunchy and delicious, and totally guilt free! I haven't had the curry kind yet, so I'm excited to try them.
- WATER!! Must stay hydrated!
This is craziness. I still can't believe that I'm going to Europe. I am looking forward to sharing with you my next post from Italy!